Sunday, June 27, 2004

I've got crime fiction round-ups coming out of my ears today.

Firstly, from Susanna Yager at The Telegraph, who we haven't seen since late March. She takes a look at such books as Mo Hayder's Tokyo, and Connolly's The Narrows, as well as a good few I've not heard of before.

We have two from The Sunday Times, which is excessive but delighting. Officially they are "thrillers" and then "crime". John Dugdale looks at the thrillers (including Monday Mourning, The Narrows, and Tokyo), and Joan Smith looks at crime, and decides to include, bizarrely, Peter Robinson's Playing With Fire which has been available since January. That's alright, though; it fits with her theme. Christopher Brookmyre's Be My Enemy has been out for a good while as well, I think...

The Times also provides yet more coverage for Louis de Berniere's Birds Without Wings, in the form of a review. I could have sworn I spotted another somewhere else, but at present it eludes me.

At The Telegraph, Lewis Jones just loves Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind. Quite right too.

Finally, do you know what winning the Orange Prize means? Well, in the case of Andrea Levy one of the things it means is that your book gets put on Reccomended Summer Reading lists an' stuff, when before it'd probably not have even been considered. This one is from The Times, and even has a nice crime fiction section, extolling the virtues of books by Boris Akunin, Reginald Hill, and Henning Mankell. (One issue I have: David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas as Summer reading??? Come on, climb out of your rectum there, for a second, before you get lost.)