Saturday, September 25, 2004

Ellis Peters Historical Dagger Shortlist Announced

I know everyone will have already read this over at Sarah's place, but I feel a kind of duty to at least give it passing mention here...

Here's the shortlist for the CWA's Ellis Peters Historical Dagger Award:

Barbara Cleverly - THE DAMASCENED BLADE
Majorie Eccles - THE SHAPE OF SAND
Tom Franklin - HELL AT THE BREECH
Janet Gleeson - THE THIEF-TAKER
Matthew Pearl - THE DANTE CLUB
Steven Saylor - THE JUDGEMENT OF CAESAR
Laura Wilson - THE LOVER

Now, I haven't read any of them (I've only even heard of three of them), but all in all I think that's a pretty darn good shortlist. From having a quick scout of various reviews, I'd say Saylor and Wilson (both of whom have been shortlisted for it before, I believe) look like they both have a very good chance. Last year was almost an open-and-shut case, and I certainly don't think that's the case here.

The winner will be announced on October 19th (which, curiously, is the same day as the Booker is awarded.)

The next development in this year's CWA adventure should be the shortlist (which can certainly be descibed as a list, but is rarely short) for the Debut Dagger for previously unpublished writers, which is to be announced on or around the 27th.

Also, another little bit of news for you... Val McDermid's The Distant Echo recently won the Spoken Word Publishing Association Award for Best Audio Crime Novel.