Friday, October 24, 2003

April Smith's piece on the Bouchercon bar scene ran in the Times this morning. (Registration is required to read it, but it's free.) My witty and informative quotes didn't make the cut, though. I was also just out of frame in the accompanying picture. (Memo to self: next time, stand closer to the famous writers.)

April seemed like a very nice person. I felt kind of bad for her, as almost everyone, it seemed, was tossing her book in the donate box. (Convention attendees received a bag full of free books and I think just about everyone got a copy of Good Morning Killer.) I hope she didn't look in the bin.

I also saw a few copies of Eddie Muller's The Distance, which I fished out. You'd think that the book that won the Shamus Award for Best First P.I. Novel would get a limit more respect. Or maybe the fact that it won the Gumshoe Award!