Saturday, November 27, 2004

Things I'm thankful for

I probably should have done this on Thanksgiving, but I was too busy eating. I'm finally up to doing it today. Here are some of the things I'm thankful for this year.

I'm thankful that...

...2004 saw so many excellent crime fiction novels published, including Jeff Parker's California Girl, probably my favorite book of the year.

...Dean Koontz, America's greatest living storyteller, writes two books each year, yet somehow makes sure that they're nearly always brilliant. Life Expectancy is dynamite.

...mystery writers are such wonderful people and many have befriended me. I'm also thankful for all the drinks they bought me.

...there is so much great Christmas music available. (I have over 30 hours worth on my computer.) Nothing gets me into the mood for the holiday faster.

...the people at the Chicago Sun-Times have the good taste to run my column every month.

...good friends like Bob Ward and Gayle Lynds have taught me so much about writing fiction. Not that you'd know it from the results. But that's not their fault.

...Alias, the best show on television, is available on DVD. (I've never actually watched the TV broadcasts.)

...2005 will bring forth a new Matthew Scudder book, All the Flowers Are Dying, from Lawrence Block. I'm already excited about it.

...Bouchercon is in Chicago next year, so I should be able to squeeze in a visit with my brother and his family.

...Ross Thomas and his 25 wonderful books are still remembered. There will never be another one like him.

...pizza places deliver. I wish more restaurants did.

...Laura Lippman still lives in Baltimore and writes about it as well as anyone has written about their city since Nathanael West.

...Left Coast Crime in El Paso is only 12 weeks away.

And finally, most of all, I'm thankful that I have such a wonderful wife who not only brings untold joy to my life, but supports me both financially and emotionally in my career as a writer. I love you, Maili.