Thursday, November 11, 2004

Borders' Best of 2004

Borders announces their picks for the best books of the year in the Mystery & Thrillers category. Overall it's a very mainstream list, with some strong books, as well as some curious choices included. (I suspect this will be the only "best of" list that James Patterson's London Bridges or Patricia Cornwell's Trace will appear on.)

I was pleased to see that Katherine Neville's The Eight was included, especially considering that it's not a new book. (It was originally published in 1988, then reprinted in trade paperback this year.) Although I haven't had a chance to read it yet, I've heard very good things about it. (I also had dinner with Katherine at Bouchercon and found her to be a fascinating woman.)

Other selections include predictable, but good choices like Michael Connelly's The Narrows and Lee Child's The Enemy.